Sunday, August 17, 2008

Recipe...

Growing up I always thought cauliflower looked like brains & I wouldn't eat it until my mom disguised it with sauce. Not to worry...my K. loves this recipe for Cauliflower Soup + it's a great way for her to eat her vegetables! I searched for a bit to find a proper soup recipe that used cauliflower. This comes from Real Simple w/a few of my own adjustments...you can do that right? We will be having this soup at the first signs of winter.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 head cauliflower, chopped or 1 - 2 large bags of frozen chopped cauliflower (K. likes her soup w/texture...so sometimes we use 2 frozen bags)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I always buy broth w/o MSG)
2 cups whole milk (I don't usually buy milk, but it really works well)
2 cups (8 ounces) grated white Cheddar
Kosher salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.

Add the onion & cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower to soften & slightly caramelize w/the onion and olive oil, about 5 minutes or so. Next...add milk and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in 1 2/3 cups of the Cheddar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Divide the soup into bowls. Add the remaining Cheddar.
Makes 4 servings.


I always serve with warm sourdough bread (K.G. you'll have to try this recipe...being in S.F.) and/or small ham sandwiches. My K. loves this meal!

0 comments: